The Mid America CropLife Association (MACA) Board of Directors selected 11 college students to participate in the MACA Young Leader Scholarship Program (YLSP).
This is the ninth year for the program, which is designed to expose future agriculturalists to the crop protection industry and potential career opportunities. Recipients receive financial compensation, additional training for finding a job plus the opportunity to network with MACA members. MACA members benefit by developing a talent pool of future industry leaders and through the heightened awareness of MACA within the participating universities.
The recipients’ educational focus is agriculture, and all are enrolled at one of the Land-Grant Universities in the MACA region. They have secured a summer internship (2021) related to agriculture, preferably within the crop protection industry. Additionally, the selected recipients will attend the MACA Annual Meeting September 7-9, 2021 and speak about their internship experience and participate in the meeting with MACA members.
The recipients by state/university include:
- Colorado – Micaela Fenton, Colorado State University has a major in Soil and Crop Sciences and hopes to graduate in May 2022. Micaela’s internship will be with the Ditch and Reservoir Company Alliance.
- Indiana – Laura Flandermeyer from Purdue University has a major in Biological Engineering with a minor in Environmental and Ecological Engineering and plans to graduate in May 2022. She’ll be working at Corteva AgriScience, Integrated Field Sciences for her internship.
- Illinois – Taylor Hartke is attending Southern Illinois University – Carbondale and majoring in Agricultural Communications with a minor in Agribusiness Economics. She plans to graduate in May 2022. Illinois Farm Bureau will be where she interns.
- Iowa – James Chism is attending Iowa State University and majoring in Agricultural Business with plans to graduate in May 2023. Chism will intern with Corteva AgriScience.
- Kansas – Jenika Hazelbaker from Kansas State University has a double major in Agronomy and Spanish with a minor in Global Food Systems Leadership. She plans to graduate in May 2023. Her internship will take her to SureTech Labs.
- Minnesota – Amelia Hayden is attending the University of Minnesota majoring in Agricultural Education. Hayden will graduate in May 2022. Hayden will intern with Vivayic, Inc. this summer.
- Nebraska – Kyle Schumacher attends the University of Nebraska – Lincoln where he is pursuing a major in Agronomy with a minor in Agricultural Economics and plans to graduate in December 2022. He’ll be doing his internship with Pioneer.
- North Dakota – Forrest Hanson from North Dakota State University is majoring in Crop and Weed Science and will graduate in May 2022. This summer Hanson is interning at Rock and Roll Agronomy, LLC.
- Ohio – Tyler Zimpfer from The Ohio State University is majoring in Agribusiness and Applied Economics with a minor in Production Agriculture and plans to graduate in May 2022. He’s interning with Valent this summer.
- South Dakota – Dalton Howe attends South Dakota State University where he is pursuing a major in Agronomy with a minor in Ag Business. Howe will graduate in May 2022. He’ll be interning with Corteva this summer.
- Wisconsin – Tanner Oyen from the University of Wisconsin – Madison is majoring in Agronomy with a minor in Business Management. Oyen will graduate in May 2022. This summer he’s interning with Helena Agri-Enterprises.
After completing their summer internships, the scholarship recipients receive a $2,000 scholarship to assist with their tuition expenses.