Between 1949 and 1954, the Oliver Farm Equipment Co. of Charles City, IA, manufactured a line-up of tractors to the agricultural marketplace under the Fleetline Series banner. One of the models in this series was the Oliver 66, an example which was on the fairgrounds at the 2019 Farm Science Review, held in mid-September in Central Ohio. This particular Oliver 66, from 1953, was decked out in bright yellow paint instead of the company’s traditional green coloring.
In addition, this tractor had an added twist – it was fitted with a Tampo Roller around its body frame. Instead of making its way through the crop fields of the 1950s, this Oliver 66 with Tampo Roller would likely have been used to compact asphalt pavement on driveways and service roads around the farm spread.
Although Oliver Farm Equipment Co. had some productive years between 1929 and 1959, the company eventually was acquired by White Motor Corp. of Cleveland, OH, in late 1960. Company products continued to use the Oliver name throughout the 1960s and 1970s, but the name was ultimately replaced with White’s by the time the 1980s rolled around. Today, the White name continues to be used as part of the AGCO family of brands for the company’s White Planter Division.