Farmers Cooperative in Ames, IA, provides the following safety checklist to use each time you haul anhydrous ammonia:
- Are you using locking hitch pins?
- Is the nurse tank secured with a safety chain?
- Is the applicator tool bar equipped with a breakaway coupler that is in good physical condition?
- Always use a withdrawal hose of the correct length – long enough to allow turning but not so long it can get caught up in the equipment.
- Never secure the withdrawal hose in a way that impedes the operation of the coupling device.
- Regularly inspect hoses and valves and replace them as needed.
- Is all low-pressure tubing securely clamped and free of pinches, nicks, weak spots and leaks?