Missouri Latest State to Set Cut-off Dicamba Date for ’18

Missouri will limit use of dicamba in 2018, citing alleged crop injury complaints filed during the 2017 growing season.

The move follows an announcement by Arkansas regulators that effectively bans the use of the herbicide next year.

In a collaborative effort to safeguard Missouri agriculture, the Missouri Department of Agriculture said it issued a 24c Special Local Need label for ENGENIA Herbicide, EPA Registration Number 7969-345 – SLN label MO-180001. The Department anticipates issuing similar labels for XTENDIMAX and FEXAPAN soon.

“Our intent in issuing the Special Local Need label is to protect this technology for the future,” Director of Agriculture Chris Chinn said. “We thoroughly reviewed the new label restrictions agreed upon by EPA and the registrants, and as much research data as possible to come to this decision that I believe will protect the product and the producers.”

According to the Special Local Need label, to apply ENGENIA to Dicamba-tolerant soybeans and Dicamba-tolerant cotton in Missouri, applicators must abide by the following restrictions:

These restrictions were determined based upon feedback the Department received from stakeholders and analysis of alleged crop injury complaints filed during the 2017 growing season.

“Through countless conversations and meetings, we were able to reach a compromise—one that is proactive and provides certainty for farmers as they make their decisions for 2018,” Chinn said. “The process included input from growers, researchers, industry partners and farm and commodity organizations, all of whom want to see Missouri agriculture thrive and prosper.”

To obtain a certified private applicator license, individuals must complete certified private applicator training provided by the University of Missouri Extension. Training programs are offered throughout the year by contacting your local county extension office.

If you are a pesticide applicator engaged in the business of applying pesticides for hire in exchange for a fee or other compensation, you must obtain a certified commercial applicator license through the Missouri Department of Agriculture.

To learn more about becoming a certified applicator, visit the Department’s certification and licensing web page.

More detailed information about this issue is available at Agriculture.Mo.Gov/dicamba.

Source: Missouri Department of Agriculture