Twenty top farm supply retail businesses have been selected as Environmental Respect Award state winners in the U.S. for 2011. Winners were selected May 5 in Willoughby. The winners are (alphabetized by state):
- Crop Production Services — Wynne, AR
- Simplot Grower Solutions — Edison, CA
- Wilbur-Ellis Co. — Caldwell, ID
- Illini FS — Champaign, IL
- Ceres Solutions LLP — Rockville, IN
- MaxYield Cooperative — West Bend, IA
- Crop Production Services — Clarkson, KY
- Crop Production Services — Lake Odessa, MI
- Simplot Grower Solutions — Hatfield, Minnesota
- Crop Production Services — Bernie, MO
- CHS Agri-Service Center — Loomis, NE
- Crop Production Services — Pantego, NC
- Simplot Grower Solutions — Langdon, ND
- Crop Production Services — Washington Court House, OH
- Union Mill — Belleville, PA
- South Dakota Wheat Growers — Wolsey, SD
- Helena Chemical Co. — Sharon, TN
- Wilbur-Ellis — Rosebud, TX
- Wilbur-Ellis — Spokane Valley, WA
- United Cooperative — Beaver Dam, WI
For 21 years, the Environmental Respect Awards have been the agricultural industry’s highest recognition for environmental stewardship among U.S. agricultural retailers, those who serve farmers and ranchers with the nutrients, pest control and agronomic information critical to effective crop production.
A panel of industry experts gathers each year to recognize achievement in environmental stewardship, professional excellence, and community involvement. The winners above won the award based on evidence of excellence in site design, in-plant storage and handling procedures, emergency preparedness and response, proper application and leadership in safety and stewardship among customers and employees.
Members of the 2011 selection committee were Jay Vroom, CropLife America, Washington, DC; Michelle Hummel, Agricultural Retailers Association, Washington, DC; Ford West, The Fertilizer Institute, Washington, DC; Randy Andrews, BCC, Inc., 2010 Vegetation Management winner; Mike Frei, The McGregor Co., 2010 Spirit of Respect Award winner; De Willard, Willard Agri-Service, 2010 National winner; Dr. Raymond Forney, DuPont Crop Protection, Wilmington, DE; Jeff Green, DuPont Crop Protection, Wilmington, DE; and Eric Sfiligoj, CropLife magazine, Willoughby, OH.
Each state winner will receive the distinctive Environmental Respect Award personalized crystal sculpture, a statewide press campaign geared toward select print and broadcast media, and a public relations kit.
The winning agribusinesses also compete for regional Environmental Respect Awards. The regional winners will be announced in mid-May and will receive their trophies in Washington, DC during a special ceremony at the U.S. Capitol.