The Mid America CropLife Association (MACA) Board of Directors selected 11 college students to receive the MACA Young Leader Scholarship to be used for their college expenses.
This is the fifth year for the program, which is designed to expose future agriculturalists to the crop protection industry and future career opportunities. Recipients will benefit from the financial compensation, exposure and networking with MACA members. MACA members benefit by developing a talent pool of future industry leaders and through the heightened awareness of MACA within the participating universities.
The candidates’ educational focus is agriculture and all are enrolled at one of the Land-Grant Universities in the MACA region. They have secured a summer internship (2017) within agriculture, preferably within the crop protection industry. Additionally, the selected recipient will attend the MACA Annual Meeting September 5-7, 2017 in Kansas City, MO, to speak about their internship experience and participate in the meeting with MACA members.
The recipients by state/university include:
- Indiana – Andrew Chupp of Bourbon, IN is an Agronomy, Crop and Soils Management major at Purdue University. After this current semester studying abroad in New Zealand, he will intern at Beck’s Hybrids in Atlanta, IN this summer.
- Iowa – Josie Burgett of Pleasantville, IA majoring in Agricultural Business and International Agriculture at Iowa State University. She will intern at Nationwide Insurance this summer, working in their agricultural sector.
- Kansas – Sarah Zerger attends Kansas State University with a major in Agronomy and a minor in Animal Science. Her summer internship is with Mid Kansas Co-op (MKC), where she will be the Crop Scout Manager. She is originally from Cheney, KS.
- Michigan – Madison Heath is a junior at Michigan State University majoring in Agribusiness Management and minoring in Economics. She has obtained an internship with Archer Daniels Midland for the summer, in the commodity marketing, and grain elevator management area. She is originally from Milan, MI.
- Minnesota – Alexis (Alee) Larson from Belle Plaine, MN is attending the University of Minnesota majoring in Agricultural Communications and Marketing with a minor in Agronomy, Agricultural Food and Business Management. She will be working as a Precision Agriculture Intern for Crystal Valley Co-op located in Madelia, MN.
- Missouri – Hannah Boatright attends the University of Missouri – Columbia. She is majoring in Plant Science, with an emphasis in Crop Management. She will be a summer intern with Crop Quest, Inc. working out of their Montezuma, KS facility.
- Nebraska – Moriah Heerten from Springview, NE attends the University of Nebraska – Lincoln. She is majoring in Agronomy and Ag Economics with a minor in Engler Agribusiness Entrepreneurship. Her summer internship is with CVA/Winfield Solutions. She will be mainly in Nebraska and Kansas.
- North Dakota – John Baldwin, from North Dakota State University, is currently majoring in Agribusiness and minoring in Business. This coming summer, he will work with Valent USA Corp. as a Sales Intern. He will assist Territory Reps in Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota.
- Ohio – Katerina (Kat) Sharp attends The Ohio State University. There she is majoring in Agricultural Communications and minoring in Animal Science and Professional Writing. She will be completing her summer internship with the College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences communications department on The Ohio State’s campus. She is originally from Stoutsville, OH.
- South Dakota – Jordanne Howe is from South Dakota State University. Her major is Agronomy with a minor in Precision Agriculture and Soil Science. She interned with Monsanto as a Row Crop Sales intern and plans to do so again this summer.
- Wisconsin – Clare Gietzel of Monticello, WI attends the University of Wisconsin – Madison where she majors in Agronomy with a minor in Global Health. This summer she will be working as a sales intern for Dow AgroSciences and Mycogen Seeds and will travel around the state of Wisconsin.
After completing their summer internships, the scholarship recipients will receive a $2,000 scholarship to assist with their tuition expenses.