CR Magazine named Monsanto Co. to its “100 Best Corporate Citizens” for 2014. This is the fifth time Monsanto has been included on the magazine’s ranking of corporate responsibility performance of major U.S. companies.
“This recognition is a testament to the more than 22,000 Monsanto global employees who are working together with farmers and partners around the world to deliver a safe, affordable and nutritious food supply for our planet,” said Jesus Madrazo, vice president, corporate engagement at Monsanto. “We are pleased this honor recognizes our commitment, but we know there is much more work to be done and look forward to working collaboratively across the industry to continue to advance sustainable agriculture.”
The “100 Best Corporate Citizens” list documents 298 data points of disclosure and performance measures — harvested from publicly available information in several key categories. The list ranks the Russell 1000 Index.
“We’re pleased to honor the 100 Best Corporate Citizens for meeting the highest commitment to the programming and transparency necessary to lead the business community in the area of responsible corporate practices,” said Bill Hatton, editor-in-chief of CR Magazine.
Monsanto’s longstanding commitment to stakeholder engagement, the environment, addressing climate change through adaptation and mitigation, human rights, governance, philanthropy, financial performance and supporting employees were essential in the company making this year’s list. This year’s ranking also recognizes Monsanto’s increased levels of disclosure and transparency, as well as the continued improvement of its sustainability programs, including:
- Increased levels of disclosure through the Monsanto Sustainability Report and Monsanto corporate Website.
- Increased formalization of stakeholder engagement processes.
- Increased sustainability management structure through the development of the Monsanto Sustainability Strategy Council.
- Increased environmental footprint reporting in water, waste, recycling, energy and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Continued strong performance in employment and human rights disclosures.
For access to the full “100 Best Corporate Citizens” list, visit www.thecro.com. To learn more about Monsanto’s sustainability and humanitarian projects around the world, visit www.monsanto.com/improvingagriculture.