Crisis Communications Guidelines Regarding Fertilizer Facility Explosion In Texas
The Agricultural Retailers Association (ARA) and The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) have been working together closely on a coordinated media response to the incident at the Texas fertilizer facility yesterday evening. Below are links to talking points, crisis communications guidelines and tips that may be helpful to ARA members that may need to respond to media inquiries in their local areas.
Here are a few key points to keep in mind when responding to a crisis like this:
- Identify one good spokesperson in your company to respond to media inquiries regarding this incident.
- Show compassion for the victims of the incident in Texas.
- Know and practice the key message.
- Be transparent and open about the extensive safety training and regulatory requirments that you conduct at your facility.
- If necessary, ask for time to gather more information and schedule a time to visit with the reporter.
- Communicate the core values/beliefs of your organization, especially concerning safety.
- Stick to only the known facts and never speculate.
ARA will continue to monitor this situation and send updates. If you have any further questions, please contact Daren Coppock ([email protected]) or Michelle Hummel ([email protected]) in the ARA office at 202-457-0825.