Study: Foliar Fertilizer Boosts Corn Yields
Results from university research trials show a foliar application of Nitamin 30L Steady Delivery nitrogen applied with a foliar fungicide increases corn yields.
July 6, 2010
Results from two years of university research trials show a foliar application of Nitamin 30L Steady Delivery nitrogen applied with a foliar fungicide increases yields an average of 10 bushels per acre (bu/A). Georgia-Pacific Plant Nutrition, manufacturer of Nitamin brand fertilizers, reports the results were compiled from 22 comparison studies at three Midwestern universities in the 2008 and 2009 crop seasons.
The studies were conducted by researchers at the University of Missouri, Iowa State University, and Southern Illinois University. The highest gains from the studies came from University of Missouri, where the fertilizer alone produced yield increases of 15 to 28 bushels per acre (bu/A) when applied at tassel (VT stage). When Nitamin 30L fertilizer was applied at one gallon per acre (gal/A) with Headline fungicide, researchers recorded yield boosts of 23 bu/A in 2008 and 27 bu/A in 2009, compared to untreated checks.
“The foliage was greener on the Nitamin 30L nitrogen-applied corn compared to the control plot, so we could tell that the nitrogen uptake by the plant was occurring,” says Dr. Kelly Nelson, University of Missouri research agronomist.
Nitamin 30L fertilizer, an innovative blend of methylene urea, urea and triazone, contains 30 percent N, of which 60 percent is slowly available. The remaining 40 percent is a readily available N component. Nitamin 30L fertilizer has a lower salt index and biuret content than urea, reducing the risk of burn and making it ideal for foliar applications.
“The unique formulation of the Steady-Delivery nitrogen remains on the foliage longer than many other nitrogen sources, which expands the window for foliar N absorption by the crop,” says Bruce Prock, Georgia-Pacific Plant Nutrition senior technical service associate.