Extra S.T.E.P. Awards
The Mid America CropLife Association honors those who have gone above and beyond the call of duty.
September 10, 2008
Likewise, the Mid America CropLife Association (MACA) recognizes those people that go above and beyond the requirements of the job with the Extra S.T.E.P. Award. Recently, MACA presented the Extra S.T.E.P. Award to Kevin Mainord, MRM Ag Service, East Prairie, MO; Rick Bowie, Bowie Fertilizer of Miller, NE; and Southern Plains Co-op, Greensburg, KS.
This is a joint effort with the respective state associations nominating a candidate by using one word from each letter of the word STEP to reflect the specific initiative of the nominee.
The Winners In Detail
MRM Ag Service was recognized for its all-around efforts as:
- Stewards of the environment by having all of its liquid and bulk chemical facilities under a roof and all loading on-site on concrete loading pads to contain any spillage or leakage.
- Having technology in place on all application equipment to prevent application overlaps.
- Educating school-age children about what growers and ag retailers are doing to protect the environment.
- Promoting site-specific practices on over 20,000 acres.
Bowie was recognized for Rick Bowie's efforts as the owner of the company since his career began. He:
- Supports his industry by being an active member of the Nebraska Agri-Business Association, currently serving as chairman.
- Teaches others about the industry by serving on the town board and the Miller, NE, Fire Department.
- Envisions what the association and industry can do when they work together.
- Practices his philosophy by being involved with the association for the betterment of the industry.
- A demonstration of stewardship which proved the benefits of having the proper containment facilities for its products in place prior to a disaster.
- Teaching by example, which shows the industry about the importance of proper facility design and staff training.
- Protecting the environment in the immediate aftermath by not compounding the disaster of the tornado with an environmental catastrophe.
- Practices — best ones of the industry — that proved that our industry can protect our communities. They serve as a shining example of what happens when we take the Extra STEP.
I hope you'll take the time to thank them for their positive efforts in the crop protection industry.